At Labels Zoo we’re very proud of our website. We get a lot of positive comments from customers who love the animals almost as much as we do. I’ve been working through the animals to see which ones I can make out of paper. I now have a good stock of animals on my desk so I thought it was about time I shared them with you! In this post I’ll give you instructions for creating an origami lion.
Although I’ve been using the labels sheets themselves it’s actually easier to start with a plain sheet of A4 paper. I printed one side with a plain yellowy brown colour to represent the lions coat.
1. Most origami starts from a square piece of paper rather than an A4 shape so we need to cut the page down to a square. Make a diagonal fold from one corner of the page to the opposite edge of the paper. This should form a square with an obvious rectangle to be cut off.
2. You should now have a square of paper with a diagonal fold across it.
9. Fold the top of the ‘face’ down long the dotted line and then tuck the bottom under along the second dotted line
10. Make 3 zig-zag folds along the dotted lines to create the tail.
11. Make a small pocket fold in the end of the tail (push in and up to create a tip)
12. Draw eyes, nose and whiskers on to the face of the lion. Here’s my finished attempt.
You’ll find a better set of drawings and even a little animation on how to make an origami lion at The Origami Club.
If you can do better than me (and I’m sure you can) tweet us a picture using the link below (or Facebook or Google+ or Pinterest).
Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
The Zoo Keeper